- 4 egg whites
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar (I take the sugar and either pulse it in the food processor till fine or use a mortar and pestle, it dissolves better in the meringue)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 pint heavy cream
- Fresh fruit of your choice, sliced (I used blueberries, strawberries and bananas this time)
Pre-heat oven to 300
degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Gradually add in the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat until thick and glossy. Overbeaten egg whites lose volume and deflate when folded into other ingredients. Remember, the secret to successful meringue is super clean equipment. Gently fold in vanilla extract, lemon juice and cornstarch.
Spoon mixture onto the parchment paper making a 9 inch circle
. Working from the center, spread mixture toward the outside edge, building edge slightly. This should leave a slight depression in the center.
Bake for 1 hour. turn off the oven and open the oven door slightly and let cool. Remove from oven and cool completely on a
- In a small bowl beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form, adding sugar if you want it sweetened; set aside. Remove the paper, and place meringue on a flat serving plate. Fill the center of the meringue with whipped cream. Top whipped cream with fresh fruit of your choice.
There really is no wrong fruit combination to this desert. My brother even used this recipe in one of culinary classes and used and orange curd instead of whipped cream. So the possibilities are endless.
Hope you give it a try and enjoy :)