Follow by Email

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Moist Chocolate Cake Supreme with Chocolate Satin Frosting

So, I think I'm liking this Country Fair Cookbook that Jason found. This is the second recipe I've used and they both have been beyond delicious.

*WARNING*  This cake is VERY chocolatey. (like that's a bad thing....)

This recipe calls for a 13X9X2" baking pan, but I don't have anything big enough to put it on. You could leave it in the pan, I guess, but I wanted it free standing. I used two 9" round cake pans and layered them instead. If you do use two 9" cake pans and layer them, you need to double the frosting recipe. I found this out the hard way...

Cake Ingredients:

2 cups sugar
1 cup cocoa
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup cooking oil (i.e. canola, vegetable, etc.)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups warm water
2 1/4 cup sifted flour
Chocolate Satin Frosting (recipe below)







Instructions:

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Combine sugar, cocoa, salt and oil in a bowl; beat until well blended.






Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.





Beat in vanilla.





Combine baking soda and warm water.





Add flour to cocoa mixture alternately with the baking soda mixture, beating well after each addition.







Grease and flour your pans. Either two 9" round pans or a 13X9X2" pan.






Pour the batter into your pan(s).





Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes if using two 9" round pans or 45 minutes for a 13X9X2" pan, until cake tests done (toothpick inserted into center comes out clean).





Cool in pan on rack for 15 minutes. Remove from the pan(s) and cool on the rack.



Chocolate Satin Frosting

Ingredients:

*Note: This is for 1 batch of frosting. If you are layering your cake you need to double this...

3 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup milk
3 cups sifted confectioners sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon instant coffee





Recipe:

 Combine milk and butter in saucepan and heat till butter melts.



Add instant coffee and disolve.






Sift together sugar and cocoa until well combined. This may take several times.






Stir into hot mixture and beat until smooth.






Beat in vanilla.






Spread quickly onto cake while frosting is still warm.





Enjoy your cake!


You don't have to add the instant coffee to the frosting, but I think it adds a little something extra.

This recipe is definitely not a from-the-box cake. If you don't mind to take a bit more time to create a delicious, from-scratch cake use this recipe. If you want to be lazy, go buy a box of Betty Crocker. But you won't be disappointed if you make it from scratch. I would say this is a 4 on a scale of 10 for ease. It's not hard, but it's not for you first attempt at baking.

I'm not a chocolate on chocolate type of person, but this was SO yummy. It would go great with a big ole glass of ice cold milk (or almond milk for me).

Nothing says "I Love You" like a cake baked from scratch with a dash of love.



Say I Love You more often :)

~Carson~

2 comments:

  1. Awe! I loved your personal message in the end "nothing says I love you like...."I wonder if I can make that into cupcakes. Miss you <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bro,

    When you break things down like this, the difficulty of things gets reduced quite a bit. Im really glad you are doing this :) Im gonna have to send you some of my recipes to feature.

    @DancingQueen13, Yes you can convert this into cupcakes the baking time is just reduced. Most Cake recipes can be made into cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete