Follow by Email

Thursday, August 25, 2011

"Poor Donald's Chicken Enchiladas"

Okay... I'm going to be straight forward and tell you that I did NOT like this recipe. I was so disgusted by the time I was done, I didn't even want to eat it. Not only was it confusing (and I'm pretty good at deciphering recipes), it had a typo! This is the second recipe we have tried from "The Ex-Boyfriend Cookbook" and so far it's not been a good book. Granted the stories in it are quite hilarious, but that's about it...

Here is an exert  from the story:

"In the middle of the night, I woke to a warm pressure on my stomach. I looked down and gasped. Donald woke up and shouted, 'Don't move! Don't move! It's the kittens!' Donald's cat was giving birth on my midsection..."

Anyway, I personally did not care for this recipe but it was definitely edible. If you like enchiladas with more of a red sauce base, this isn't the one to try, I'll post my own personal recipe at a later date (that is very simple, I might add). If you like a more "cheesy" white sauce based enchilada, you will probably like this recipe. Don't let me decide for you though, you'll just have to try it for yourself. Hopefully our break down of it will make more sense than the book (since I can't post word for word, I'll present the recipe the way it should be. Typo free...).

This recipe can be found in "The Ex-Boyfriend Cookbook" by Erin Ergenbright and Thisbe Nissen on pages 96-97.

Here's whats in it:

1/3 cup water
6 tablespoons oil
1/3 cup minced onion
2 1/2 tablespoons flour
One 8-ounce can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
salt, to taste
2 cups cooked chicken, diced (we use canned chicken, it makes it MUCH quicker [and easier])
1 cup sour cream
1 cup half-and-half
1 1/2 tablespoons butter (softened or at room temp)
1/2 cup chicken broth
12 tortillas (it doesn't specify, but we used flour tortillas)
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese






I have to say that when I got all the ingredients together, I was wondering how it would turn out...


Here's the recipe:




The parts that were "left out" or confusing I'll put in italics.



Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Take a 9 X 13 or larger baking dish and coat the bottom with 3 tablespoons of the oil.

Heat the other 3 tablespoons of oil in a medium saucepan on medium to med-high heat, add the onion and cook for 4 minutes (the recipe says EXACTLY 4 minutes and I have no idea why).





Add 1 tablespoon of the flour and stir until browned (I stirred and waited and stirred. It never turned brown...).






Add the tomato sauce, water, chili powder, oregano, garlic powder and salt to taste.





Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.





Add the chicken and sour cream, mix well and set aside.


 
Next, combine the half-and-half and chicken broth in a different saucepan and heat. I'm guessing on medium, it didn't specify.



Make a paste with the remaining flour (1 1/2 tablespoons) and the butter.



Add to the broth mixture and stir until thickened.


Dip the tortillas into the mixture.


Then spoon about 1/2 cup of the chicken mixture onto each tortilla.



Roll and place seam side down in the baking dish.

Pour any remaining sauce over the enchiladas.



Sprinkle with the cheese and bake for 20 minutes or broil until the cheese is melted.





While making this dish, I made a HUGE mess. And when I was done, I still had 3 tablespoons of oil left! It never told me what to do with it. I did figure it out though when I tried to remove the enchiladas from the pan... Hence why I tell you to use it at the beginning to grease the baking dish. I give this recipe a 9 for difficulty because I had to read it 3 times before I started to understand it. Even then I had to stop and start over because I got confused. That has NEVER happened to me before.

I really hope that our break down of this recipe makes it easier to understand. Like I said before, don't take my word about whether or not it tastes good. If you have kids they will probably like it, Jason thought it was okay, it just wasn't my cup of tea.

I think we are getting rid of this recipe book...

Happy cooking :)

~Carson~

No comments:

Post a Comment