Follow by Email

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Squash Stuffing Casserole.

Ah summer time, the fruits of all your hard spring labor in the garden are becoming ripe. If you are like us you have squash coming out the ying yang. One of the most popular dishes for summer squash is casserole. I found this recipe on page 213 in "Taste of Home, Slow Cooker". I had never heard of cooking squash casserole in a slow cooker so I knew I had to see if it worked!

Ingredients and cost.
1/4 cup all purpose flour. (On Hand)
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted. $1.19 at the IGA, I used fat free.
1 cup sour cream (8 oz) .99cents at the IGA.
2 medium yellow squash. Cut into 1/2 inch slices. (Free from our backyard garden, I also used 4 smaller squash).
1 small onion chopped. (.99 cents at the IGA)
1 cup shredded carrots. (I just sliced mine. 1.99 at the IGA)
1 package stuffing mix. (Stove Top .99 cents at the IGA)
1/2 cup butter. (On Hand)

In a large bowl, combine the flour, soup, and sour cream until blended.




Place squash, onions, and carrots into slow cooker and mix with soup/sour cream mixture.
 Combine the stuffing mixture and butter. (Note: I used a large sauce pan, having a handle makes it easier to pour into crock pot.)

Pour stuffing mixture onto squash/soup mixture in slow cooker.


Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until veggies are tender. 
 Carson and I had this for supper and talk about YUMMY. It was so easy too! On the scale from 1 to 10, it was so easy I will give it a 1! Anyone can make this with very little effort! Total out of pocket cost for me was around $6.15 excluding tax. Total prep time was around 15 minutes. So if you are looking for a way to use that summer squash and you are a throw it in the crock pot and go kinda person, then this is for you!


No comments:

Post a Comment